Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Imagination



I don't usually pay any attention to chess problems – those fantastic positions that could never occur in a real game where White's key move leads to a forced mate in all variations. But when this one was set up last week at the local chess cafe, a number of strong players (2200+) tackled it for an hour or so and finally gave up.

Have a go yourself – it's White to play and mate in four moves. And don't expect any help from Rybka or Fritz. They cheerily announce mate in five but that's not the same thing, is it?

Solution in a few days.

UPDATE: 1.Ba6! e4 2.Bc8 e5 3.Qxd7 Kxg2 4.Qxh3 mate!

2 comments:

Jonathan Berry said...

Nice solution, Dan. I spent about 5 minutes looking for a solution. I confess that I did look at Bc4-a6-c8 because problem solutions tend to be the most ridiculous moves in the position, but I did not see the Qh3xd7-h3 idea. I was looking at taking on d7 with the B, which of course is pointless.

But my favourite move is 1.P-K4 (always a good move!) reducing Black to strategic immobility.

john said...

Hi,I have a Blackberry Bold-can you suggest a good chess programme compatible with this?Thanks.

About Me

My photo
Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
National master (Canada) since 1984. B.C. Champion 1977 and 1984. Runner-up 1991 and 2002. B.C. Open Champion 1972 and 1982. B.C. U/14 Champion 1964-65-66. Mikhail Botvinnik once wrote that publishing your analytical work forces you to be accurate because it exposes you to criticism. Hence this blog.